Apple developer support is Apple Inc.’s developer network. Previously it is known as Apple Developer Connection (ADC). The purpose to create this network is to help software developers in developing software for Apple driven platforms like macOS, tvOS, watchOS, and iOS. The applications developed for these platforms are not developed by Apple inc. but are created through Xcode or other programs. Further, iOS and tvOS applications are launched on the App Store (iOS) and App Store (tvOS) respectively. WatchOS applications are attached to some iOS applications. macOS applications can either be downloaded from the World Wide Web (www) or launched on the App Store (macOS). Basically, it is designed to distribute your apps to billions of customers around the world through the Apple App Store.
How does the Apple Developer Support work?
The process of introducing your apps to the Apple platform is quite procedural. It contains the following three main steps.
1. Membership/ Enrollment
It provides free tools and resources to beginner application developers of the Apple platform. It mainly gives beginners a learning platform where a developer with an Apple ID can access to Xcode, software download, documentation, sample code, forums, and feedback assistant. And if you don’t have Apple ID, you can create one from their official website (https://appleid.apple.com).
In addition, if you are able to build more advanced capabilities and distribute your apps on the App Store, you have to enroll in the Apple Developer Program. It costs $99 per membership year only.
The enrollments are of two types, enrollment as an individual and enrollment as an organization.
- Enrollment as an individual:
If you are an individual developer or sole administrator of developing applications, you only need to sign in with your Apple ID along with two-factor authentication. Two-factor authentication is an extra layer of security for Apple ID. Its purpose is to ensure that you are the only person who can access your account, even if someone knows your password. Besides password, it requires access to the trusted device (iOS device or Mac) or verification code sent through SMS or phone call.
Here you only need to provide your basic personal information like your name and address.
- Enrollment as an organization:
If you are performing enrollment for your organization for developing applications, you need an Apple ID with two- factor authentication along with the following
- D-U-N-S number – It is a nine-digit number, used as a standard business identifier. For having this number, your organization must be listed as a legal entity and you can attain it for free by Dun & Bradstreet. If your company is not listed, then you can request the number from D&B by providing them with basic organizational information.
- Legal Entity status – It is used to enter in contracts with Apple.
- Legal Binding Authority – A person who is performing enrollment must belong to the upper management of an organization like the owner or executive team member etc. who collaborate with legal agreements on behalf of the company.
- Organization’s website – It must be available publically and the domain name must be linked with organization.
The verification for organizations is quite complex. It also includes more components like you are supposed to provide a D-U-N-S number associated with your legal entity on request. If you are not belonging to the upper management of the organization, you need to provide a reference that ensures that you are an employee of that legal entity. You might also ask for certified business documents depending on your country. There is a solicitor who ensures the originality of documents with a signature and seal provides these certified documents.
Completion of Enrollment
After the verification of enrollment and your agreement for the associated program license, you are able to purchase the membership. In the case of single-person business, membership can be purchased right after verification and agreement. But in case of an organization, membership can be purchased after the Apple Developer Support approval via email. The Apple Developer Program’s annual cost is $99 and the Apple Developer Enterprise Program annual cost is $299. The prices may vary with the regions. There is a system of auto-renewal subscription that renews your membership automatically after completion of a year.
If you are a contractual developer and hired by an organization, then your organization must enroll you in Apple Develop Program according to the above-mentioned enrollment procedure. Then the organization should include you in your developing team in their account so that you can have access to the membership resources. On the other hand, if you are a contractual developer and developing an in-house application for the organization, then the organization should create an account on Apple Business Manager.
Apple Developer Program App
The developers based in the US can perform their enrollment through Apple Developer Program App on iPhone or iPad. Enrolling through the Apple developer program app requires developers to accept the transfer of Account Holder Role.
Apple App support provides the following benefits to the Apple ID holder and Apple Developer Program members. These benefits are free of cost for Apple ID holders. For Apple developer program membership, it costs $99 per year.
|Benefits||Apple ID Account||Apple Developer Program membership|
|Xcode developer tool and beta |
|On-device testing|| |
|Developer forums|| |
|Bug reporting with Feedback |
|OS beta releases|| |
|Advanced app capabilities|| |
|Code-level support|| |
|App delivery on App store|| |
|App management, testing, |
|Safari Extension Distribution|| |
|Software distribution|| |
|App distribution with Apple business manager|| |
Manage Your Account
Once you have achieved the membership, you are authorized to access the resources. You can configure the app services and can submit the new apps and related updates. In case of organizational enrollment, you can invite more developers in your team under the same organization’s account. You will have the following options in managing your account
- Manage your team
- Certificate creation
- Keys Management
- Identifiers management
- App capabilities configuration
- Device registration
- Profile Management
If you have an Account Holder Role (only applicable in the US), you can transfer your role to another person in the team. But ensuring that the person you are assigning your account holder role must be an employee and have the legal authority to get associated with the organization.
Beginner developers can have a Developer account for free by accepting the Apple Developer Agreement. They can use their accounts for downloading beta Xcode, visit forums, and report bugs. They can also accept an invitation from organizations to join their accounts in the Apple Developer Program.
2. App Development
Build your Apps
Apple developer program gives you the opportunity to use their complete set of frameworks and services that you can implement to support your advanced app. It provides you Xcodes, Swift (programming language), Swift UI, TestFlight (it is used to test apps before launching) and the remarkable features of Apple technologies that help you create your apps more innovative.
Xcode is an inclusive set of tools for developers that help in creating apps for Apple OS devices like Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Apple TV. XCode is used to create the user interface, coding, testing, and debugging. XCode is then submitted to the App Store. A developer can have detailed guidelines to use the XCode from building to submitting an app.
3. App Distribution
The Apple App Store gives you the opportunity to distribute your apps to billions of customers. You can launch your app on four platforms of Apple includes iOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS. App delivery to Apple App Store includes 3 steps, which are
- Planning – includes business models, onboarding new users, localizing your app, parental gates, and Xcode implementation.
- Launching – includes preparation for submission (review and testing), crafting app store presence (product page, app previews, in-app purchases) and app marketing
- Post-launching – includes analytics, ratings and reviews, app updates and live events.
Prior to submitting an app, a developer needs to provide tax and banking information. It is used for revising contracts and creating accounts and users in App Store Connect.
App Preparation and Submission
- There is a complete step-by-step guide for configuring code and data. It is then tested on devices and submitted for distribution.
- Apple Developer Support reviews the apps submitted to the App Store. It is ensured that the apps are reliable, performing as per expectations and free from offensive data.
- Submitted apps as then managed. Managing apps include metadata edition, updates submission, crash logs downloads, and sale and financial reports observation.
- Apple App Developer also provides guidelines for marketing. There is an artwork that you can download used in marketing communications.
- After the submission of your app, you can see the status of your app in My Apps section on App Store Connect. On average, 50% of apps are reviewed in 24 hours. 90% of apps are reviewed in 48 hours. If your app submission is incomplete, it may take longer to review or may be rejected. You will be notified accordingly.
- Major reasons for app rejection could be crashes and bugs, broken links, inaccurate screenshots, incomplete information, and substandard user interface, etc.
Application is managed and submitted through a web-based tool called App Store Connect. As a member of the Apple Developer Program, you can use App Store Connect to submit and manage your applications. Moreover, you can invite users to test the apps with TestFlight, include tax and banking information. You can also have access to sales and financial reports.
Monitoring of App’s Usage and sales
You can monitor your app’s usage and sales after launching by viewing App Analytics data, Sales and trends reports, and monthly financial reports.
Comparison between iOS and Android Development Policies
|Key Aspects||Apple Developer Support||Developer Support Resources for Android|
|Development of Programming Language||Swift||Java|
|Integrated Development Environment||XCode||Android Studio|
|Deployment Speed||Long app review process||Short app review process|
Comparing both platforms, it is easier to develop applications through Apple Developer Support rather than to develop through Developer Support Resources for Android. As a developer, there is more security and a defined procedure for developing an app on the Apple platform. A developer needs to follow the predefined set of rules and policies governed by Apple Developer Support. There is a proper segregated process for individual developers and organizational app development teams.
With the increasing number of hackers and intruders, it is necessary to have a highly secured and policy governed procedure for app development. Apple Developer Support is a good option for securing the app development process. There are many listed app development companies, which have the Apple Developer Support account. These companies are providing high-quality Apple app development services to the clients. According to my web survey, some of the renowned companies are Folio3, Willow Tree, Konstant Infosolutions and Dom & Tom, etc. Apple Developer Support always welcomes its members as well as beginner developer to provide assistance if they have any issues or queries regarding app development. For this purpose, you as a developer can contact them through their website, helpline number and email address, etc.
- How can I check my enrollment status in Apple Developer Support?
- To check the status of your enrollment, sign in to your account on the developer website with the Apple ID you used to enroll.
- Will I need to enter a verification code every time I sign in to my Apple Developer Support?
- Once two-factor authentication is enabled, you’ll need to enter a verification code every time you sign in, unless you choose to trust the browser, in which case you won’t be asked for a verification code again from that computer for 30 days. You may be asked to re-verify if you reset or change browsers.
- Will I need a trusted device dedicated to my Apple Developer Support if I enable two-factor authentication?
- No. You’ll need to use a trusted device to enable two-factor authentication for the first time. However, you can use the same trusted device for multiple Apple IDs that are enabled for two-factor authentication.
- Can I switch my membership from an individual to an organization through Apple Developer Support?
- Yes, if you are the founder/co-founder of the organization. To start the conversion process, please contact us. You may be asked to submit business documents to verify your organization’s identity.
- Can I transfer my app to another account through Apple Developer Support?
- Yes. Use App Store Connect to transfer qualifying apps to another account in case of an acquisition, asset purchase, or other similar situation. When you transfer an app, it will remain available on the App Store, all ratings and reviews will carry over, and users will continue to have access to future updates.