Bitzer Mobile (now part of Oracle) is a California based startup that specializes in enterprise mobility solutions that provide secure access to corporate apps and data on mobile devices. Bitzer’s mobile enterprise security app (secure container solution) creates an enterprise workspace on any mobile device (whether corporate or personal). Via this multi-platform secure container, enterprise employees can seamlessly access their intranet, corporate data and apps with enterprise-grade security on their mobile devices, whether they are personal, or issued by their company.
THE PROBLEM AND THE FOLIO3 SOLUTION
Bitzer Mobile was founded by a dynamic team of Silicon Valley entrepreneurs who had all launched and successfully run several startups. With the rapid rise of the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) culture in enterprises, the company’s founders saw immense potential for a mobile enterprise security app/solution that would be required to deal with the security risks inherent to the BYOD movement.
The company wanted to create a platform that would enable enterprise employees to run apps on their Android, iOS & Blackberry Apps device in a secure manner, partitioned from all their personal applications. They had a highly capable team who developed solution’s core IP and architecture, but needed help building out the solution. Some of their fellow entrepreneurs directed them to Folio3 and after evaluating Folio3’s mobile expertise and its focus on working with startups building technology products, Bitzer Mobile chose Folio3 as its partner for this venture.
Folio3’s team of expert mobile developers not only picked up the core technology in a short span of time but also quickly delivered a proof of concept for the iOS platform. This mobile enterprise security app (solution) was demoed by Bitzer to several customers, who were impressed enough with the product’s potential to provide Bitzer with additional funding for further development.
Armed with additional funding, Bitzer Mobile worked with Folio3 to further refine the solution by adding several server side modules and client side security features that combined, offer a completely secure container for running enterprise apps on mobile devices. The solution provides user authentication, data encryption (at Rest & in Transit), data leakage control and security policy enforcement. The finished product – the Bitzer Mobile enterprise security app provides:
- A touch-enabled enterprise workspace for mobile devices that enables users to access their email, browser, SharePoint portal (file manager, documents, etc.), in-house and third party apps in a secure manner (via a secure app tunnel that replaces the mobile VPN)
- Integrated Windows authentication using either PKI or password, where the user credentials never leave the secure container on the device
- Single sign-on capability across all Windows enabled intranet applications and native apps running on the device via Kerberos and NTLM
- No restrictions or controls over personal apps or data
- Data leakage control by security policy enforcement, that enable admins to restrict or allow email, copy/paste and sharing functionality to users on their mobile devices
- Isolation of enterprise data access from personal data access
- Application and data lifecycle management, by ensuring users only have access to authorized data
- User credentials lifecycle management
- Multiple deployment options including on premise or in the cloud deployment
- A corresponding server side administration panel via which enterprise network admins can manage the app’s security policies and authorization policy for user groups as well as individual users
Thanks to Folio3’s efforts, the Android version of the Bitzer Mobile enterprise security app (which was completely developed by the Folio3 team) was featured in SC Magazine’s July 2013 issue as One of the Best Enterprise Data Security Solutions for Mobile Devices and given a 5 Star rating.
The Bitzer Mobile enterprise security app/solution has been deployed by Fortune 500 companies and some of the world’s best brands. The company was recently acquired by the Oracle Corporation, as a key component of their Mobile Security Solutions suite.
BITZER MOBILE ENTERPRISE SECURITY APP – TECHNOLOGIES USED
The Bitzer Mobile enterprise security app/solution was developed using a number of different enterprise development technologies. The Android version of the app was developed using the Android SDK – versions 2.2 to 4.0
DEVELOPMENT METHODOLOGY USED
Folio3 used the Agile model of development on this project with Jira as the project management tool.